View Single Post
Old 7th December 2020, 06:47   #19
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
From one of the motoring programs I have seen, I don't think you could take a car off the street test it and state what the top BHP is, you would need to service it first. Although it was a petrol they were looking at, a test before and after a "service" gave different results.

macafee2
You can find out what it’s outputting there and then, how can the say you’ll get 160 without seeing the car or even knowing if it’s mechanically sound? Surely there should be an acceptable range of BHP you would typically get, or the average that cars achieve. Fresh oil, fresh air filter, spotless manifold, egr and intercooler would achieve the most power, but you won’t tend to lose a huge amount of power if it hasn’t had a service. I always recommend cleaning the intake system so it’s spotless prior to a remap, that way you can get the most air in, and make use of the extra fuel a remap puts in. Calling it a 160 map and only achieving 140~ bhp on an average diesel on a dyno would be a bit off putting to me. There should be a dyno day where a handful of cars are ran, the average worked out and go from there.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote