View Single Post
Old 10th November 2020, 13:12   #1
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts
Default Extending the life of a leaking Slave Cylinder

Always good to see the many 'How To's' on the forum, although you don't tend to get any 'I tried this and it isn't worth doing' threads.

The jury is still out on this one - it could go either way, and is probably leaning towards the latter.

Many of us have been there with a leaking slave cylinder, some more than once or twice. Well after a fair few years since the last change my slave cylinder is leaking again. Fitting the GhettoTech Easy Read And Top Up Tube, I can see I am losing around 3ml per week.

Interestingly, if the pedal is depressed overnight it stays pressurised, and also it took 3 or so weeks before there was any fluid visibly leaking from under the gearbox.

Years ago I had a weep from one of the steering rack seals, and used some of this:

It swells the rubber seals and worked a treat - the rack has now covered over 409k miles in over 20 years. I wondered if the same product could do the same job with the slave cylinder, so I have added half a tube to 500ml of clutch fluid and filled the circuit with it.

Have already bought a Borg and Beck replacement and have a good DMF to fit, as the original was worn near the limits last time round and that was over 100k ago.

I'll keep you posted.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote