Thread: Energy bills
View Single Post
Old 16th January 2022, 11:03   #74
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Back in the day I used to install /swap lecky meters, single phase, 3 phase, whole current and CT operated.

Single phase meters had a certification date of 20 years, 3ph were less, can't remember how long. When removed they were stripped down cleaned re-certified and then put back onto the system. When a customer complained of high bills we'd go round, disconnect everything a carry out what was defined as a standard load test or SLT for short. This was a calibrated piece of kit which would spin the meter and the operator would time it, take the reading off the meter and work out how accurate it was. They always were.

You can tell how old your old analogue meter is from the serial number on the front. Something like S78Y 58437, would have been made in 1978 by SANGAMO, the silver sticker on it would possible have been CERT 05/87 depending on when it was cleaned etc.

At our last property we started to have huge gas bills, we'd never had gas central heating before, either having storage radiators or oil fired. It was at the time when gas prices were rocketing so we thought it was what it was. However, when no matter how much the D/D went up were were still in debt, I started to check the readings once a week, after about the 4 week the damn thing stopped working. Got 'em I thought. Got the bill out out to call the supplier and checked the readings again. At which point I noticed something not quite right. Meter was cubic feet, bill was cubic meters. I literally staggered back to the desk. My bills were out by a factor in the order of 3x what the should be.

Called them up and the conversation was a classic. Anyway they couldn't get anyone to check it, it had stopped, for around a month. Boy was it warm in our house for the next few weeks, winter as well.

Got a grand back if I recall.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote