View Single Post
Old 6th August 2007, 10:49   #4
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by webteb View Post
Hi all.
My 75 (2.5 V6) has the dreaded rattle/buzz/resonance coming from the front area of the exhaust. It only happens through a short span of low revs and is more pronounced as the engine warms up. I don't think it's fatal but it spoils the sound of the car. I have read about Cat failures and front down pipe problems and wonder if anyone has any more specific info. I saw Lates once referred to a service bulletin on drilling a hole in the down pipe and filling it with weld but has anyone any specific info on where the hole is the hole is actually drilled? I have also seen references to using a self tapper in the Cat but has anyone actually done it? I ask these questions as getting a replacement Cat here in NZ will most likely require a second mortgage. I spoke with a couple of exhaust repair shops and they just normally remove broken Cats as emissions are not currently included in the warrant of fitness (MOT) checks here. I am hesitant in trying this as I’m not sure of how the O2 sensors will react and what impact it will have on the ECU. Any help will be greatly appreciated
I recently posted on something similiar on a new cat but get the resonance only, a wahh as I hit 2,200 rpm then nothing until I return to 2,200 1st new cat did it and replaced cat same? I admit they were cheapies [unipart] I dont get a rattle, but did with the original knackered one. I am planning to fit 2 large jubilee type clips around the cat to see if this stiffens things up to remove resonance Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote