Thread: MOT Fail :(
View Single Post
Old 24th March 2017, 09:40   #9
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Sounds like you need an "ARTIC" handbrake compensator fitted, after he fitted mine I had a wonderful 3 notch handbrake.
The GF's car now has a 3 notch handbrake - the main pain was getting the carpet up - it's rather thicker in the Mk1 Connie than it is in my Mk2 Contemporary, so the fighting was with the carpet to get access to the inspection plate and involved some acrobatics with me standing on my shoulders to get leverage on a 3' crowbar to force the bits round the tunnel to bend - I should have video'd it - I'm sure I'd get far too many views on Youtube

Unfortunately, due to being a) cheap and b) in a bit of a hurry (see post about "1 week to get out of the country") what I ended up doing was bending the staple on the original compensator and then doing the "Mark 1 modification" with a MIG welder - it's not pretty, but it does work, and hopefully nobody will ever need to see it again.

My own car will take a bit more doing - it's *had* the compensator mod done, but unfortunately now needs the rear disks replaced because the inner drum has badly rutted and doesn't get very good contact from the shoes - I guess at least there's no fighting with carpets to replace the rear disks/pads/shoes
DaPol is offline   Reply With Quote