View Single Post
Old 29th August 2020, 19:55   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one that is getting more and more frustrated with poor quality replacements.
As I said Ben, your car's symptoms are more indicative of the aftermath of K-Seal than poor quality parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADO282 View Post
I'm considering the Kaiser metal thermostat as a permanent fix ... the replacement "upgraded" item from Rimmer Bros lasted about six weeks and the straight section split.
Hi Christopher,

Like everyone else, I have had leaks in the 'V' and have diligently carried out experiments and I now have a better understanding of what's happening.

FIrst of all, the straight pipe. Mine is the original, now 21 years old and it's never given trouble. There is no need to replace this. If your Rimmer item split then I'd say that you are correct to conclude that it was defective.

The Kaiser metal parts are successful due to their rigidity. I have discovered that the purpose of the serrated 'herbie' clips on the straight pipe is to provide the same rigidity for the plastic assembly. Unfortunately these are often not positioned properly after service. The result is that the assembly moves and the thermostat 'O' ring flattens and begins to leak.
The Chinese modified the thermostat housing by adding three supporting legs. These help with rigidity so if you can locate this improved housing, buy one without delay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADO282 View Post
It is very telling that the original items lasted for thirteen years, and the replacements less than two!
My research has shown that this is not because the replacement parts are inferior. It's because the serrated 'herbie' clips haven't been positioned fully outwards which creates the necessary rigidity in the assembly. This is not the fault of whoever did the work. There is no clear guidance in any of the workshop manuals available including RAVE.

I hope that this is of interest.

Simon