View Single Post
Old 9th July 2021, 21:39   #9
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

it is indeed a grey area. most policies stipulate " with the owners permission."
so loan of a vehicle suggests gain of some degree ? " use" would be a better term. it is confusing . i was stopped once whilst using my wifes car and asked if i had insurance. i showed them my policy which clearly stated that i could drive another vehicle with their permission but they did not accept that and the car was recovered at the roadside and taken away to a compound. i lost a days pay from work and had to pay to get the car released. i spent 3 weeks arguing my position each week at the local police station. they eventually rang my insurers who confirmed that i was indeed insured to drive my wifes car but third party only and that i was only insured whilst in the car driving it ! they still wanted to persue the case telling me that because i was married, the car in effect was jointly owned and not solely by her. so i should have insurance ! in the end they relented but not after i received a warning letter by post from the chief constable stating " you know the law" . a question that i was asked many times was "will you be seeking compensation ? " i have been driving 50 yrs plus and had just had my first 3 points ever on my license for speeding 35 mph in a 30mph zone. if this case had gone to court and somehow i lost then 6 points on top of that would likely have seen me banned. the costs of it and all the hassle fighting the police was just not worth it. so just bit my tongue and binned the warning letter ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote