View Single Post
Old 26th January 2018, 12:20   #1
KenR
Loves to post

2.5 V6 Rover 75 saloon

Default Perplexing 1.8 idle and smoke issues

Hi folks,it's been a while. I've had my 1.8 Cowley built 75 for a few months and love it. It's been a perfect runner and never let me down.

The PO was fastidious and spent literally thousands on the cars needs. This included a replacement Ivor Searle engine about 20 thousand miles ago.

I've been in hospital recently and hadn't started the car in a week and a bit as I am not able to drive yet. Normally a first turn of the key has the car purring into life. Nope, not this time. It was difficult to start and ran like an absolute pig.Idle would not stabilise and I had to blip the throttle to keep it running and this has become worse. Blue smoke (petrol smelling) is drifting out of the exhaust and the join at the exhaust manifold down tubes and where the cat joins the system. I thought I'd spilled WD40 on it and wiped it off but it reappears and causes quite the cloud of smoke when it is burning off. No coolant loss, no mayo on the dipstick or oil filler cap. No temp gauge woes prior to this, although I know it is heavily dampened. There is evidence of K Seal in the header tank although this was done due to a heater matrix leak at some point in the cars history.

The coolant cap is not pressurising either. No hose leaks seen.

The only minimal moistness I can see and it really is just that, is on the very top of the front of the exhaust manifold above the second N/S down tube.

Possiblity that the inlet gasket is leaking and seeping into the exhaust and down the remaining down tubes?

Is there a K series enthusiast who is near North London (Edmonton/Enfield) who might be able to have a look for me as I can't yet drive due to just having had a major stomach op and wouldn't be keen on the car driving anywhere due to the smoke being pumped out anyway. Obv petrol and food covered.

Thanks.

Ken
1996 Ford Galaxy 2.0 petrol
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote