Thread: Misfiring KV6
View Single Post
Old 28th January 2020, 19:27   #22
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire127 View Post
I don’t have the equipment for a compression test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
It's inexpensive to buy Toby.

Simon
Don't you it's about time you got off your sofa Simon, and prove yourself to the membership?, Banbury is only about sixty miles up the road from you, and I'm sure with your superior KV6 knowledge, you can soon put those spanner monkeys in their place.

I assume you own a compression tester, and even know how to use it, and more to the point, think of how you are you going to tell the mechanics that they are making a big mistake by misdiagnosing HGF or a burnt out valve, or a hole in a piston, when in fact it's the Herby clips in the wrong place, coupled with non adherence to the MGR coolant refill procedure, or perhaps as the belts that were replaced 30,000 miles ago, it's the possibility of a non functioning low speed fan, due to none ECP brushes having been used in a previous repair

Anyway back from Simon's fantasies about being better than everyone else at repairing the KV6 Toby, for what it's worth, I suspect there may been an earth left off the rear bank, and there is a defective coil driver transistor in the ECM as a result, this can be diagnosed by unplugging the ECM and sniffing the connector, as if my hunch is correct, there will be a very distinctive burnt electrical smell.

As to low compression, I've seen these run with compression as low as 100 PSI without a significant misfire, and down as low as 85 PSI with a splashy intermittent misfire.........is the symptom a constant misfire on No.4, as in running on only 5 cylinders?

Please let us know how you get on, Simon is waiting to tell everyone "I told you so"

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote