View Single Post
Old 14th March 2021, 18:15   #8
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I think it is a mental thing, we know the price of oil and filter and our time is our own, free. We forget the cost of paying to run a garage (electric rates etc) and then of course wages, when this extra is added we are horrified. There is also experiences that some of us have suffered at garages and because we have knowledge we sometimes know when something is wrong and what we are being told is "lies". I give you an example.
My wife worked at a bank and they all raved about a local garage for servicing. Wife took our Ford there for new disc pads. Got the car back and it would not stop, I mean it would not stop. I took the front wheels off and found the new pads were a couple of mm longer top to bottom then the original set, the result was the pads were touching the disc on only the top and bottom ridge. The brake warning light was also on. Took the car back to the garage and got my old pads back and a refund. I refitted the pads. They also thought the brake warning light being was correct.

I have also spoken to a woman whos' discs were so badly scored, worst I have ever seen. I wondered if she had any brake material left, she told me she had just had the garage fit new brakes...... ya right.

So there are two reason why people can think a garage is a rip off, one reason is unfair, the other can be justified ....... if you know a think or two

macafee2

I'm intrigued about a couple of things:

You say the new brake pads fitted were a couple of mm longer top to bottom. How did they ever fit into the brake caliper housing & mounting bracket?

Also, the woman that had 'new brakes' fitted. Are you saying that the garage charged her for new brake discs & didn't fit them or fitted new brake pads to her existing brake discs?
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote