View Single Post
Old 19th July 2021, 11:43   #9
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

I played with the DRL option using TOAF and ended up turning it off.

It actually turns on the full beam lamp at a reduced intensity, not the dipped beam.

The intensity of the light level itself was fine, but the beam on that lamp is set up such that even with the lower brightness it is incredibly dazzling to other road users.

I personally quite like DRL's - not as a styling item (which I don't agree with, they should be functional over form in my opinion).
As a 28 year old with good eyesight and decent reflexes, I find cars with DRL's far more visible in daytime traffic at a quick glance than cars without.
Useful for pulling out at junctions etc.

That's why I looked into enabling it on my 75 with TOAF - to increase how visible I am to others more than anything else.

As that was a no-go, I ended up not using any as I didn't want to add anything aftermarket as I prefer cars to look stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I am not in favour of DRL's only at the front and not the rear. People seem unaware that so many vehicles don,t have DRL's at the rear and I think this is exacerbated at night with digital dashboards that light up light all the time an old fashioned dashboard did when lights were turned on. This may be leading people to think they have their lights on
Agree with this too, its amazing how incompetent some people are.
If you can't get in a car in poor light and set off without knowing you are adequately illuminated you should have your taken away from you.

Another reason I have seen people doing this is because their cars are fitted with automatic headlights but they've taken them off the 'Auto' setting and turned them off completely.
Again, incompetence, and there's no excuse when you're driving a two tonne killing machine on a public highway.

Last edited by Gigagator; 19th July 2021 at 11:48..
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote