View Single Post
Old 12th January 2021, 15:52   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Since the lockdown started i have joined " Findmypast" If you are bored with life, you will find this very interesting and addictive. I remember visiting my g/parents house in the 50s, my g/parents lived in a small 2 up 2 down terraced house was always amazed that they only used one room to live in. My g/mothers bachelor brother lived in one half of the house. My mothers brother who was was only in his 50s was bedridden and lived in his bed by the side of the fireplace. In 1901 census my g/mother lived in the house with her widowed father, sister and 3 brothers. In the 1911 census, same house g/mother was married with the first 3 of her 10 children plus her bachelor brother and another brother and his wife and their two children. Just wondered, how would they have coped with the lockdown.
If you have irish ancestry, a lot of records were destroyed in the Four Courts fire in 1922, approx. 3/4!), there are a lot of free sites out there.

Irish Genealogy

Catholic Parish Records

and dont forget to check out whilst on FMP the British National Registers. The Northern Irish National Registers are closed records but can be had by making an FOI request via PRONI (email [email protected])

Tithe Applotment Books (useful for pre 1860s records)

........... and if you have the full access within FMP, their access to the British National Archive (which can be subscribed to separately) is another fantastic source for information, in particular obituaries, but also court case reporting on individuals lol.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote