View Single Post
Old 8th April 2020, 12:06   #15
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

Thank you,

The metro is a fun little car around town. The one I'm looking at the seller has taken it in as part of a deal and has no history on the belts that's why I've already got a quote of replacing them by Dave and Kayleigh. it has about 100k on the clock and is a 1999 car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
This looks like a genuine, unmodified car in very good condition inside and out with one owner from new. I'd say that it's worth viewing, once the Coronavirus travel restrictions have been relaxed.

As has been said there are three things specific to the V6:
  • Coolant leaks in the 'V'. Take a powerful torch with you to check.
  • The VIS actuators and flap valves are prone to faults which cause listless performance on the 2.5 let alone the 2.0. They're easily repaired except for a rattling 'power' linkage which should be avoided.
  • After starting from cold, listen for a mild rattle from the belt area which ceases after a minute or two. This is a sign of a worn tensioner and/or idler wheel and will dictate when you need to renew them and the cambelts. Check the service history carefully. It doesn't need doing every six years unless you're of a nervous disposition!

Electric radiator fan operation should be checked using the 'demist test', but this isn't peculiar to the 2.0 V6.

A camshaft won't snap if repairs are carried out by a competent, careful person.

As far as fuel consumption is concerned, and as I'm sure you appreciate, your 1.0 litre Metro is the best choice for pootling around town. For constant speed cruising on motorways or uncongested 'A' roads when the torque converter is locked, I get an average of 30 - 33 mpg (measured by the brim-to-brim method) from my 2.5 litre V6. I would expect similar from the 2.0 litre under those conditions.

The 2.0 KV6 is a rare and interesting variant and it can be rewarding owning something a little bit different. You don't have to keep it for ever and it will certainly be a contrast to your diesel tourer and on that basis, an experience worth having. Good luck!

Simon