View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:49   #5
bladerunner
Regular poster

75cdt connie se and Yamaha R1

resurecting an old thread but once again this forum saves me a lot of grief,time and money Thankyou. A few things I would add after doing it this way, If you use a 24mm combination spanner on the tensioner (open end on the pulley) leave it on when you take the belt off or it will spring too far back and when you come to put the belt back on I put a tie down strap through the ring of the spanner and around the engine mount casting thats fastened to the inner wing, that way you can hold the tensioner pulley off while you take your time to refit the belt. Secondly the bottom bolt on the alternator is easier to get at through the wheel arch even with the wheel on. Thirdly when you come to fasten the big cast mounting back on the engine block be careful screwing the bolts in, its only aluminium and will strip the threads VERY easily, lastly if I had to ever do this again I would jack the car up,take the wheel off and peel the inner wing back the same way you would if you did it from underneath then support the engine and proceed as the OP because if the belt slips off the crank pulley its impossible to get it back on from the top,far easier from through the wheel arch and once you have the top engine mounting off you cant jack the car up easily.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote