Thread: broken spring
View Single Post
Old 31st March 2021, 08:51   #8
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Steve and no need for an apology! I am always interested to hear evidence from all points of view. First of all I am relieved to hear that you didn't come to any harm.

Can I ask whether spring protectors were fitted?
Where on the spring did your fracture occur?

Simon

PS We heard recently from a member who says he was involved in the tyre protector project. He added that MG Rover eventually changed the manufacturer of the springs to solve the problem. So provided that genuine parts are used (and they are made by Simplex) for replacement, there should be no need for concern.

Hi Simon,
Spring protectors were not fitted prior to the failure, but were fitted at the same time that BOTH front springs were replaced. Though I don't know which make of spring was fitted. (this happened about 8 years back, nothing on the bill)
The fracture was part way up the spring, roughly at the lowest full diameter, if that makes sense??

When I got to my sisters I borrowed my brother-in-laws angle grinder and cut off the sharp point so it cleared the space saver and drove home (25 miles) with no effective spring on that wheel . I borrowed a few bags of sand (the flood alert had been cleared) to put in the boot over the near side wheel well to give some sort of balance.
Heath & Robinson eat your heart out
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Walnut Handbrake grip, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Wanted: Walnut auto gear stick handle
Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.

Last edited by sln8458; 31st March 2021 at 08:59.. Reason: more info added
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote