View Single Post
Old 24th October 2020, 13:29   #1
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts
Default In Tank Pump (ITP) has died

Hi all.

The ITP on my recently acquired tourer has given up the ghost . It's probably had the equivalent of a heart attack having been laid up since the start of the COVID thingy and having done less than a couple of thousand miles a year for the last 10 years .

Anyway, thanks to the "How To's" and other threads it's now out and has been certified dead following 12V shock treatment and physical massage with a blunt stick .

The use of a 12V electric fuel pump of unknown age or origin, some plastic pipe and a slave battery along with 2 jerry cans did a great job of emptying most of the diesel out of the tank.

A couple of weird bits:

Does anyone know what's going on here?

I was expecting the rubber pipe to come away from the male spigot - which it did - but it brought this thin black plastic tube with it.

I've only taken one or two apart but I don't remember any thin black plastic tube . Do I need to "persuade" the tube out or can I just push it all back together and put the small steel clip back into place?

There's a fair bit of gunge in the bottom of the tank. I'll be getting that out before it all goes back together. Do you think SWMBO will mind me using the baster thingy that sucks up the juices from the roast....

I've no idea what this spade terminal is for. There's no spare wires/connectors etc. I guess it's not needed/used. Suggestions welcome.

While reading up I thought the grey plastic "arm" with the square block on the end was supposed to be clipped in. It wasn't, it was just flapping about - unless it unclipped itself as I was easing the pump assembly up and out?

Now all I have to do is release the pump itself, put the new one in and put it all back together.

And it's heaving it down here so I'm glad I can do the first bit in the shed .

Wish me luck.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 24th October 2020 at 13:35..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote