View Single Post
Old 12th June 2021, 21:46   #20
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Voltage drop you say.
The moment the engine is running there WILL BE 14 volts plus in the cars electrical system.---

Don't tell me that won't enable the system immediately.

CO2 saving you say. Think of that rubbish next time you stop behind a lorry or look up into the sky to a monstrous passenger plane flying by over your head.------Zillions of CO2 dropping straight down on top of you and your family, if you have one.---It's a con and it DOES make money for the dealers in replacement spare parts and batteries etc.

You, my man, have successfully been conned.--They've got you, hook line and sinker.----- Now go stand in the corner and repeat to yourself---I will try not to believe everything I'm told in future without first having a good think about it.

Nobody it going to tell you their system is rubbish, and in addition to buying the car you are going to have to buy a charger cos their invention can't cope on its own.--( see an earlier post. )

The voltage put out by the alternator is not what the stop start system is looking at. The battery voltage without help from the alternator is what it’s looking at. Along with whatever load is being put onto the electrical system, such as heating, lights, wipers, air con and so on.

A battery may well start the car well enough under more regular circumstances, such as at the very start of a journey until manually switching the car off. However if the battery isn’t healthy enough to carry out repeated start ups particularly on a short run - then the car will decide not to activate stop start. This is to protect the battery and help keep things running as they should.

This contradicts your theory that it’s a ploy to make money as if they were just looking to do that, they’d design the car to just continually keep doing restarts until the battery can’t take the load anymore and fail.

In most cases the problem is people using cars for ridiculously short journeys which doesn’t charge the battery properly. Journeys where their own two legs or two legs plus two wheels could easily take them, which would further help with CO2, but that’s another subject.

Cars and car batteries like to be used for decent runs, that’s the only problem here.
Mean & Green is offline   Reply With Quote