Old 13th April 2020, 11:52   #15
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Just going through the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Glue. Yes.
Halfords for one do a metallic paint to repair the fine wires across the screen.

A layer of this plus glue on top will make the connection good again.
Assuming this is the repair paint (link) the reviews aren't too good.

Here's another repair paint - Amazon. The seller says it needs to be used with this adhesive to repair HRW tabs. I'm a tad dubious that it'll work.

This one might though - a silver epoxy adhesive with "high electrical conductivity" (see datasheet pdf) - RS Stock No 186-3616. Shame about the price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
You can buy electrically conductive glue.

https://www.intertronics.co.uk/produ...SAAEgLQqPD_BwE
£50 minimum order - https://www.intertronics.co.uk/conta...w-to-purchase/ and I can't find anyone else that sells it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Simon, if you heat up the solder on the tab, then wick it off, you will be left with the metal tab with four dimples protruding from it.......here is one I prepared earlier (pic)

Carefully clean the land around the tab location on the window, using 240 production paper, then wipe it over with isopropanol, or meths.

Mix up a dot of Araldite Rapid, apply it to the tab, then push it firmly into place, and hold it using a small screwdriver or similar in the centre of the four dots until the glue sets.

The protruding pips will make sufficient contact with the screen to make an electrical connection, and the Araldite will be more than sufficient to mechanically secure it.

If it's good enough for a HRW wiring tab to connect in this way, your radio aerial connection will be fine

Brian
Presumably the four protruding tips won't conduct electricity if I get Araldite Rapid on them - or is the idea that they push the glue out of the way just enough to make an electrical contact?
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote