View Single Post
Old 28th May 2016, 17:11   #9
matchless
Gets stuck in

Mazda cx7/1979 T140e

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
I don't wish to dribble on your bonfire but the late '70s isn't a great period for Triumphs. Build quality was inconsistent and quality control sketchy. I worked at a garage that sold them at the time and all came back with problems, some with serious ones, for eg gearbox main shaft shearing after 35 miles.
What a lot of people ended up doing was completely stripping down their bikes and finishing them off themselves which may be the case with yours.
Hi,
I am in no doubt the bike will need some tlc, However, my dad did know a thing or two about (British) bikes, he was, after all,an engineer for Matchless motorcycles in the 50s.
Also, the 70s were not a good time for motorcycle engineering excellence, as ALL manufacturers suffered flaky build quality of some sort, just ask anyone owning an Rd 250, 350 , either air cooled or Lc, or a Laverda Jota owner, Benelli anything, Harley, Honda 4s, etc,etc.
By the time that the picture I have posted, was taken, my brother had owned 3 Yamahas in the same period since the Triumph was new... ALL suffered crankshaft failures...with well under 10k on the clock.
Needless to say all the bikes and manufacturers listed above , providing they worked, produced bikes still talked about today....flaky or otherwise.
Cheers
Paul

Last edited by matchless; 28th May 2016 at 17:13..
matchless is offline   Reply With Quote