Thread: Get them open!
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 11:53   #23
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

I've recently been in touch with three different caravan/camp sites (two independents and one Camping & Caravanning Club site) to cancel my Summer 2020 booking. It's interesting that all three have similar thoughts as to their hopes for re-opening.
They are hopeful that their sites will be included under the umbrella of "hospitality businesses" and as such, they see a possible relaxing of restriction from early July.
Some of their planning includes:-
  • Restricting pitches use to "every other one", thus creating a wider gap between units.
  • It will be impossible to open the usual facilities blocks, so visitors will be totally dependant on their own on-board facilities.
  • This means that tent camping will be nigh on impossible, unless the campers have a toilet tent etc. - and I've seen very, very few of those
  • Providing hand wash stations with antiseptic available
  • On site offices/small shops will remain closed.
The areas which will be difficult to monitor/make safe include:
  • Waste disposal - both grey water and chemical toilet - most sites have only one disposal facility, so there would be multi-use there.
  • Similarly, fresh water access will still be needed, probably with extra usage to cater for people's on-board showers etc.
  • Children's play areas - may well have to be cordoned off - difficult to monitor that one!
Of course, the biggest problem will be getting people to accept the situation and comply with the rules. You only have to look at what has been happening in the South West in the past few days to see how selfish some people can be. Regrettably, past experience tells me that some of the caravan/camping/motorhome fraternity are no better - you have only to see how they ignore on-site dog & noise rules.
The Camping & Caravanning Club have already said they will discourage long journey plans, and push people towards using sites close to home.

Personally, I've given up on 2020 - the 'van will be unused (unless we decide to spend a few nights in it on the drive ) until 2021. You know who's law will dictate that this Summer will be one of the best (weatherwise that is) for some years.

Of course - it's all theory/guesswork anyway - no-one knows what the state of play will be in 4 - 6 weeks' time.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote