View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2019, 00:54   #2
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copilot View Post
Yesterday happened something strange.

Got stuck in heavy traffic in the city. Was warm weather in Denmark (around 23º) and after some time the engine temperature rose up to 99º (measured on IKE). Then I noticed some smoke coming out of the engine as well as more engine vibrations followed by a significant loss of power.

As the temperature didn't reach 100º at any point, I decided to turn on the A/C in order for the fan to kick in, which in fact reduced the temperature to 90º.

Anyway, I pulled over and turn the engine off, checking the engine bay. I noticed a spill of coolant.

I wait until the engine temperature was around 70º then I started the engine again and keep driving and everything was fine. No spill, no power loss, no vibrations from the engine and the temp around 91º.

Some facts:

The thermostat was changed a few weeks ago for a reinforced one bought in DMGRS. No leaks found so far.
All the 3 speeds of the Radiator fan are working.

Can someone point me the direction of what could be happening?
Maybe an airlock from the thermostat change that caused a coolant temp spike that caused a boil over (shouldn't have at 99C, though) and the steam/moisture caused a loss of spark on a front cylinder. Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote