View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2019, 16:25   #5
Copilot
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
Maybe an airlock from the thermostat change that caused a coolant temp spike that caused a boil over (shouldn't have at 99C, though) and the steam/moisture caused a loss of spark on a front cylinder. Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,
Glenn
Isn't normal the temperature reaching 99º or 100º in heavy traffic on a warm day? Then why the fan only starts at 100º? Should start earlier than.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hog View Post
Whereabouts did you notice the coolant spillage?

It's quite possible that you had an airlock if the system wasn't refilled by the book after the thermostat change. Air will heat up more than coolant and then if the bubbles find their way out through the expansion chamber they can take some fluid with them. But where you found the spilled coolant would be a great help.
It came out from the coolant pressure cap for sure. There was coolant around the expansion tank when I opened the bonnet.

The loss of power and the engine vibrations makes me a bit nervous about what actually could have happened. Maybe a lack of spark in the front cylinders due to moisture as slovcan mentioned?

So seems I need to do a proper coolant refilling following the MGRs method.