View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2019, 21:32   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Have you ever handed in your notice to leave/retire from your job or taken voluntary redundancy? I'm not asking if you left to take up another role but only if you left with nothing to go to.

I took voluntary redundancy and no regrets. Was a bit stressed between my application to leave and being the green light in case they turned me down. I had nothing to go to, left on a Tuesday, saw a job on Wednesday, applied on Thursday and interview on Friday.

My wife has had enough and has handed in her notice. She is relived to have handed it in and now is counting down the days. She has nothing to go to.

How did you feel?

macafee2
The closest I got to this was being fired. They were justified, and I could have even 'lied' and got out of it. I was having issues mentally/stress, and struggled with time keeping etc. They did do their best, and the manager even had tears in his eyes, and choked as he said the words 'you are summarily dismissed'. Up to that point, he was telling me what he wanted to hear! But I told him, that I had always been upfront and honest with them, and wasnt going to lie now. I wanted to leave, but had nothing to go to, he didnt want me to go though. If I had have stayed, I would have still have been miserable, and selling my integrity (which was the last thing I thought I had to hang on to) by lying to them to keep the job that was part of the problem. I had the weight of the world on my shoulders.

Walking out the door to my car, and driving to the car park gate, all I could think of, was 'what do I do next, how will I tell my dad?' (my dad had been in work since 16 and you never left in any way until you had somewhere to go to). I got to the gate. Indicated, and pulled into traffic. Remember it as clear now as the 16 years ago. A Mercedes 190, late morning August 19th 2003, the blue sky and white clouds had just started appearing. At least that is how I remember it, for as the back of the car, dropped from exiting the car park and onto the main road, that weight on my shoulders, just vanished! I still had to figure out what to do next, to tell my family, but, I now had an increased drive to do something.

If work is getting her down that much, then leave. Sometimes money or prestige is not worth the mental anguish that can come of it.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote