View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2019, 13:39   #10
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Early Retiremnent.

If offered, take it – depending on the terms. My last employer of (25 years) was undergoing ‘refreshment’. As it happened I had been the Trade Union Rep for a few years and had developed into something of a thistle in the backside of management (was instrumental in saving the jobs of one or two in trouble). Can’t think why, but there we are.

On the day they announced that under the terms of the ‘benefits defined’ scheme we could take advantage of the provision to retire at 50, it happened to be my 50th birthday!

I sort of murmured my reluctance and the second offer came out of the District Manager’s drawer (there’s always a second offer). A full term pension (to age 60) plus enhanced lump sum. Half heartedly accepted and I went in two weeks. Laughing.

After travelling for a year got bored and, realising the armchair would kill me, turned my long term hobby into a full on business and never enjoyed myself so much in my life. After another 25 years and at 75 closed it and honestly believe it has lengthened my life by a long way with much delight.

Best of luck, all that matters is maintenance of commitments.

Last edited by wraymond; 23rd June 2019 at 13:46..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote