View Single Post
Old 25th April 2019, 22:02   #4
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi, I looked at that thread but it's about the hose my problem is the join into the intercooler.

I understand that some have experienced issues that you describe, I have been fortunate in that I start by removing everything that may be in the way making the fitting either difficult or worse still - not getting things quite right, fail to prepare = prepare to fail !
So all of the viton seal replacements start with front bumper removed as well as the n/s headlamp unit. Why do all that I hear....
This is because the whole area can be accessed properly, everything can be cleaned after the mess leaking seals provide and some dissolving and evacuation of the oil found at the lower part of the cooler. Also the re-fit is made more clearly visible for things to be put back together again with little room for error. Also other checks can be made while the bumper is off, such as the state of the cooler fins, the plastic ends and if the wiring for the fbh has begun to rub against the cooler itself. To date I have never found any need to use 3 viton seals, but understand that many are happy to do so. A full clean of the intercooler elbow may reveal a possible cause of leakage too. I have also constructed a better hose setup which is out on test on many cars (Not £80 or so for coloured silicone ones either) and thus my method of stripping, cleaning and fitting the components without compromise from items in the way shows me that success is achievable, but you cannot expect everything to simply be ok if you haven't checked everything !
There is a chance that the seals you have fitted may be damaged or compromised if the elbow keeps parting from the cooler, and indeed the elbow itself may be deformed in some way preventing it seating correctly (This would be clear to see properly if the strip-down process was adopted)
So a few ideas to hopefully help you on this, maybe worth checking the cooler end of the elbow and if it looks damaged or compromised or less than round, it may be worth speaking with one of the traders here to source another one with less damage. If really stuck, I would be able to send one to you.
I have never failed in doing the seals change or developments in the "RuncleHose" simply as I make sure things are right before putting the car back into use following re-assembly.

Food for thought...... Hope you may gain from my information, and get the remedy in place soon.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote