View Single Post
Old 20th May 2018, 19:43   #8706
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Sweet zombie jesus!

Just finished replacing the cooking fan after 6 HOURS!!! It should have been an hour job even for an amateur like myself, but the one of the previous owners must have decided that the crash beam would never need to come off ever again so he decided to round off a few bolt heads, I managed to get some free but there was one of the inner bolts where access is poor and I just could not get that NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- off for love nor money.

He also has a fondness for cable ties for the undertray but I'm OK with that

By moving the radiator around slightly and pulling the beam out of the way the best I could I was able to get limited access to the radiator screws and what would you know, the nut and bolt just both turned, I tried and I tried and I tried again to get that NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- bolt loose but to no avail, then I just thought NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- it, I won't be using this cooler again so I got a hammer and a large chisel and bashed it until it flew off somewhere.

By this point I was NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-, I ripped the old cooler out from underneath after sawing holes for the air con pipes and sawing the top mounts off (not on the rad). Finally I was able to wrestle the working cooler in from underneath.

Putting the crash beam back was fun due to my exuberance it was slightly out of line, but a few hammer strikes later and all was well.

Next time I'm paying someone to do it.

If the car lasts my European trip I may treat it to new bolts all around so I don't have to go through this aggravation again.
P-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote