View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2021, 04:47   #15
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A friend who is a farmer reckons it is a total pi55 take, he said there are not many farmers who could splash out £82k on a pile of equipment in one go. He rents some of his as he only has to pay for it when he needs it.

Agree on the Clarkson makes great TV, have watched him for years and was lucky enough to meet him a couple of years ago and it surprised me that he was a lot different in real life, we talked about cars and was happy to chat for a few mins.
I’ve spoke to a few of my customers and they say it’s a brilliant show as it’s shown the stark realities of farming. Most of one crop eaten resulting in thousands of pounds lost and nothing you can do about it. The cost of seed and fertiliser but you’re dependent on weather to even get it into the ground and then there’s no guarantee you’ll get any returns on your investment. As for £82K on machinery, that’s really chicken feed if you’re investing in farm machinery, a combine harvester is £250.000,00 on average for a new one and a decent tractor is around £150K
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote