View Single Post
Old 21st November 2021, 13:46   #29
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Ian.
Why would anyone want to do that on the same axle one of my pet hates is seeing a car with different tyres, even if they have same type on each axle, i have to put the same tyres on all four corners, one it looks better, it is safer in my opinion.

On all Freelanders 1&2 they must be the same have the same tread depth other wise damage can be caused to the drive train.

Tyres are the same as your brakes in terms of safety, they are must be kept in good order including the right type for the car.
A rare occasion when I don't necessarily agree with you. As we all know, tyres have wildly differing characteristics, so I agree with matching on the same axle. However, I have never had performance issues with different pairs. In fact, on large vehicles, tyres must be different on driven, steered or trailer axles. Om my motor cycles I, along with most bikers, would experiment to find the best combinations of front and rear as a "bad" combination could be deadly.
On economy grounds, front and rear tyres usually wear at different rates, so changing all four together needlessly is not something most of us can justify. I haven't had a traction/steering problem for about 48 years when my youthful exuberance, a patch of ice and lack of experience saw me doing an uncontrolled exotic dance and unskilled reverse into bushes, in my Mk2 Consul
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote