View Single Post
Old 12th May 2019, 18:22   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Having changed the clutch on my CDT, using the clutch alignment method I have always succeeded with, namely, a piece of 15mm copper pipe with electrical tape wrapped around it, and using a threaded bar in the top, rearmost bolt-hole in the engine to 'hang' the gearbox on, and using 2 trolley jacks and a scissor jack to get the gearbox level and onto it, I was able to get the gearbox within 18mm of the engine face on 2 bolts and the stud, with only light spannering. Using a screwdriver through one of the notches in the bottom of the bell-housing, and in gear, I could turn the engine, and see the drive shafts turning. However, with a couple more turns on each of the bolts and stud nut, they became much harder to turn, and so did the engine.When I slackened the bolts (near the bottom of the gearbox) but not the nut at the top, the gearbox started to move away from the engine, and it again became easier to turn the engine. I should add that by now, I had only one jack - supporting the engine. I have used slightly longer bolts to get to this stage, as the proper ones will not yet reach their threaded holes. Nothing is trapped in the gap. What have I done wrong? Is marginal mis-alignment of the clutch causing this difficulty? If the input shaft has made its way through the clutch centre, is it possible that it can't get into the flywheel bearing? If I reconnect the clutch slave, and press the pedal at this stage, will it release the driven plate and allow it to centre itself?
Although there is a spigot bearing fitted to the crankshaft, it does precisely nothing whatsoever.

Your driven plate isn't centralised, so off it comes again I'm afraid.

If you don't have the proper alignment tool, here is a method which works,

Align the clutch driven plate on the cover, measuring from the machined edge of the cover, mark it up, then put a couple of small dots of superglue on the clutch cover and place the driven plate onto the clutch cover, aligning with the marks.

Double check the measurements, then refit the assembly to the flywheel, then it will go back together easily.

A proper(ish) tool can be found HERE however the other method works fine.

When the clutch is pressed for the first time, the bond of the superglue will break.

Under no circumstances press the clutch pedal with the gearbox not in place, or the slave seals will pop

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote