Thread: MOT passed.
View Single Post
Old 4th February 2021, 19:57   #6
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by john116 View Post
I used to wonder why you UK guys are so proud of MOT pass. Now that I've read so many stories, I understand why. Your MOT inspection is SO detailed. Australian ones at least in the state of New South Wales is a quick test drive to check brakes, a 2 minute visual inspection of lights and tyres and engine bay and away we go. The UK one sound hideous, and probably mostly unnecessary.
Maybe, but not really when you consider plenty of drivers won't / don't know how to even check the basics for driving safely, let alone an MOT pass.

My Zafira failed last week on a broken n/s coil spring, and a worn front inner wishbone bush. The break was so near the bottom of the spring I could just feel it but not see it whilst in situ, and wasn't really able to see it until the strut was off the car. The bush was much the same only really visible when the wishbone was off.
I would describe myself as a relatively competent home mechanic, and hadn't noticed either when driving. That said, for various reasons, the car only did 980 miles since its last MOT in Jan 2020!

Last edited by Andy_with_a_screwdriver; 4th February 2021 at 21:56..
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote