View Single Post
Old 17th September 2018, 20:33   #1
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Default Fix it or scrap it?

2004 ZT-T CDTi 160, solar red, 161k

Ok, so that's the car, I want some thoughts on what to do next.

The clutch pedal has gone to the floor. I've changed the master cylinder (which was definitely shot) and bled it through thoroughly until no bubbles come out and the fluid is nice and clear. I've topped it up countless times and keep bleeding it. Immediately after a bleed I get maybe one 'good' pedal press which feels normal, after that, the pressure drops off and the pedal goes back towards the floor and I have to hook it back up with my toe to the normal position.

I left it overnight freshly bled and re-bled it the next evening (tonight). More air bubbles, same outcome. That air has got to have come from somewhere I'm thinking the only logical explanation is a failed seal on the slave. I can see no trace of a leak under the bell-housing.

Changing the slave myself is totally beyond me... trust me, I found changing the master tricky. I'm told that if you change the slave you may as well change the rest of the clutch at the same time.
Given the age and mileage of 161k, is it worth the £600 (?) or more bill to replace the slave & clutch discs. The car also has really bad lacquer peel and needs a £500 respray on the bonnet/front bumper to correct that.

It seems to me that financially it doesn't really add up, yet I still really like the car and it comes down to a heart versus head decision. The car is my daily driver and I need her to be reliable (which by and large she has been until now).

Any thoughts?
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote