View Single Post
Old 4th December 2019, 11:03   #12
BigBen
Loves to post

R75 V8 Tourer, CDTi Auto Tourer (both Connie SE), MG ZT-T 190+, MG TF 115

The kit you linked to on eBay is from B S Motors in Sandy. I can tell you from personal experience they're excellent (I used to use them all the time for parts when I lived in Willington, 5 miles down the road) and are also X-Part dealers. In fact "Maurice", my 190 has a genuine kit on him I purchased from them in 2016. Nick at E-CP/B S Motors is a great guy, and very knowledgable.

You don't need the special tools to change the belts, just to line the cams up if you have removed or loosened the front cam pulleys (which you don't need to do for a belt change).

Just make sure you lock the crank in the "safe" position, mark up the cam positions before you remove the belt and make sure everything lines up when you fit the new ones. The rear cam pulleys for the short belts are keyed to the shafts and have timing marks stamped in them; so need no special tools to line them up, either.

You'll need two new bolts for those, though - oh, and plenty of threadlocker!

It's no more difficult than any other twin cam engine, just a bit more time consuming getting to it!

B S also have the standard genuine MG/Rover kit without the thermostat, it's normally about £160.

I personally would not change the thermostat unless it is already leaking, however, as it's a well known weak spot it's always good to have one ready just in case.

The hoses should be fine, the originals are probably higher quality and less likely to fail than anything you replace them with

HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roker View Post
Going to bite the bullet and do a set of overdue cambelts. I am in Australia , so Fleabay will have to suffice for me getting the necessary parts. Had a quick look and there are some mind boggling range of prices and, perhaps, quality as a result. Can someone guide me as to what are the best ( not necessarily cheapest) options for decent parts. I guess, whilst it is in bits that the thermostat piping should also be changed and perhaps even the water pump(?). I see a genuine MGR kit that includes all of these for around £250 plus £40 or so postage to our fair shores. Link as below.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ULTIMATE...IAAOSwbRFayyd~

All hoses look original,so is it worth doing those too for peace of mind?

Any trusted traders that inhabit these forums can supply? Would rather give my business to individuals that contribute to the knowledge here than to a random that couldnt give a stuff once the goods have been sold.

The old girl turned 18 a few weeks ago and only has 67,000km on her and just want to ensure that she doesn't let me down. Using crappy parts will interfere with that strategy.

Thanks guys.

[SIGPIC]https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/image.php?u=23989&type=sigpic&dateline=1467731033[/SIGPIC]

Past cars:-
BL: Discovery 3.1 & V8 2WD pick-up, Rover 800 Vitesse Turbo Coupe, 820 SLi 180 Fastback, 600ti, Montego 2.0EFi VDP, Ital 1.3 Estate
Ford: Transit Cosworth V6, Granada 2.9 V6 Scorpio & 2.8 V6 GL
Volvo: 480 Turbo & 1.7 ES, 240 GLE
Porsche: 944 2.7 Lux
Audi: 100 ESE 20v
Peugeot: 405 1.9 GR
Talbot: Alpine 1.6 Rapier S
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote