View Single Post
Old 4th December 2019, 21:59   #14
BigBen
Loves to post

R75 V8 Tourer, CDTi Auto Tourer (both Connie SE), MG ZT-T 190+, MG TF 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
A lot of detail is missing here. Ben, could you explain how you managed to ...
  1. Align the two inlet sprockets and hold them against valve spring pressure whilst simultaneously lacing the new belt as tightly as possible as well as inserting the tensioner body bolts against its hydraulic force, all using just two hands?
  2. Fit the rear sprockets, perfectly aligned, with the new belt not slipping off with one hand whilst the other hand rotates the exhaust camshaft against valve spring pressure into alignment?

Perhaps you had help? Please explain, I would really like to know how it's done.

Simon
There were two of us, and yes it was a pain but not that tricky.

With everything marked up (four marks on each front sprocket, two yellow & two white) with the engine locked in the safe position (so no valve damage can occur) it's quite easy to put the belt on, if you adjust the tensioner afterwards.

I had no choice as the workshop tool won't fit my engine anyway.

The rear sprockets are keyed to the shaft, they're easy enough to hold the exhaust cam in the correct position with a ratchet/socket on the bolt head while someone else slips the other sprocket and belt on.

Turn the engine over a few times by hand just to make sure everything still lines up. (in my case about 12 times forward and backwards just to absolutely check everything!!!)

I'm sure Trikey will be along soon to explain it better than I ever could...

[SIGPIC]https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/image.php?u=23989&type=sigpic&dateline=1467731033[/SIGPIC]

Past cars:-
BL: Discovery 3.1 & V8 2WD pick-up, Rover 800 Vitesse Turbo Coupe, 820 SLi 180 Fastback, 600ti, Montego 2.0EFi VDP, Ital 1.3 Estate
Ford: Transit Cosworth V6, Granada 2.9 V6 Scorpio & 2.8 V6 GL
Volvo: 480 Turbo & 1.7 ES, 240 GLE
Porsche: 944 2.7 Lux
Audi: 100 ESE 20v
Peugeot: 405 1.9 GR
Talbot: Alpine 1.6 Rapier S

Last edited by BigBen; 4th December 2019 at 22:09..
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote