View Single Post
Old 1st April 2020, 21:14   #21
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
Well not a very good update I got the head off the ZT at week to find a catalogue of problems I was hoping would only be a failed gasket and maybe low liners as a few years back the car (by a previous owner) had paid £2900 for a fully recon engine, a new turbo and clutch/flywheel. Much to my disappointment when I remove the head I found following.....

1. All cam belt covers broken and sections missing
2. All liners completely sunk
3. Cylinders 1 and 3 liners have excessive pitting around firing ringseals (unusable)
4. Firing rings on gasket have eaten into head
5. Silicone used to seal cam carrier partially blocking some of the cam channel oilways causing heavy scoring to intake cam and head (head, cam carrier and intake cam scrap)
6. Original style oil rail used
7. Heavy scoring and bearing pickup on main bearing journals 2, 3 and 5 (crankshaft scrap)
8. Damage to block on cylinder 1 liner seat (block scrap)
9. Casting on head between intake valve ports 3/4 and 5/6 cracked (never seen this happen before)
10. Standard (non turbo) oil pump fitted

Unfortunately it's the worse K Series I've seen I think so again unfortunately the future of the car hasn't been decided yet
Hhmmm!!!!! Not good then.

My 1.8t is running ok after 5 head gasket being replaced, 4 were HGF’s and the 5th as a precautionary measure after the radiator failed. She is currently on 209,700 miles. So try and not lose faith.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote