Thread: Tyres
View Single Post
Old 14th August 2019, 12:46   #5
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I very recently had to have a full set of Avon ZV7s returned under warrantee for cracking between the treads. All 4 had failed, they were supplied a month apart in pairs from different retailers. One a local garage the second pair Black Circles. They had covered only about 3000 miles.

I contacted the manufacturers of Avon tyres and spoke to them personally and they were well aware of the problem. They told me that under EU rules they (and others) had had to change the formula of the rubber and this has caused this fault. They hope that now it has been sorted but said the problem does not arise immediately but can take three years and longer to show. The tyres he said are guaranteed for 6 years so high mileage users will probably not have a problem but low millage second cars etc are more likely to run into the problem. They wanted the tyres sent back for examination and then a refund will be made calculated on the wear. The tyres from the garage have gone back and I am waiting for the report and refund. Those from Black Circles probably haven't as the fitters of the replacements said Black Circles haven't asked for them to be returned. They offered a poor refund initially but after negotiation re offered an acceptable amount so they have by-passed the tyre manufacturers code of practice and as the retailer refunded themselves.

Before changing the tyres I had felt the braking was not as good as it had been and recently having fitted new pads discs etc considered a fluid change but since replacing the tyres the braking is as it was.

In the end considering the manufacturers statement that they thought they had fixed it but couldn't be confident for at least three years, I changed to Kumho which have similar ratings and around the same price but do seem better in feel and grip.

If you do have them fitted now or are considering them I suggest you bare this in mind and keep a good check on them.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote