View Single Post
Old 21st March 2018, 13:39   #7
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
It might need opening up a bit to fit because it's held by a pinch bolt..maybe slightly deformed. You could use some nuts and a bit of screwed rod or threaded bolt. or do as Roverp480 says slack the column and shove it on away from the pinch point.
That idea with the rod and some nuts sounds easy enough. The column is fairly loose. Enough to move it around a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
How about loosening off all the fixings for the column . It will then have a bit of wriggle room to get the joint together . Bolting everything up first before making the joint is not helping in my opinion.
The column is actually fairly loose. I can move it around a bit. Enough to get it into position without much problem. Its just that the metal sleeve won't slide over the pointy bit lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupname View Post
Doesn't look like there is enough room for a G clamp, but I would be looking for something like that to squeeze it back in place. Dunno if that helps.
Maybe twist it 90 degrees and use a clamp with the handle sticking out of the hole and put the bolt in from the side?
That is also an interesting idea. I don't have the G-clamp, but I think I have something similar that might be small enough to fit in there.