View Single Post
Old 24th June 2021, 12:37   #1
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Default ZTT NS front clunckety clunk

So Nigel my CDTi ZTT mk2 got severely potholed just after Christmas breaking the rear NS spring and destroyed the front NS tyre side wall with the very same wheel having a new bearing months before that for MOT. Before then last summer the trailing arm and bush was new so a bit miffed tbh with this noise and yeah very prepared to find the ball joint of the trailing arm loose but no wheel play detected yet. Council paid out for tyre eventually but really wish had got recovered proper on the day and had a garage look at it properly because there is this clunk since then and i dont like it.

I would welcome suggestions on what to look at because ever since the pothole event there is the clunk from the NS front that sounds like the trailing arm ball joint is loose or maybe even shock/spring related but when i push down on NS wing and bounce it a bit there is no noise. I keep checking for wheel play because of the clunk sound whilst driving from that side, it gives me the willys but its just noise no vibration only present when the NS wheel is presented with rough road which seems to be to often these days.

Have spent a bit on this car prob more than i would care to mention and its probly time to do front springs now but could have bought two more cars for what ive forked on putting it right so far lol but a good drive none the less.

After last MOT a few months before the pothole had to have new rear upper arm and spring on OS and after the pothole the NS rear upper arm and spring got done out of necessity so the back of the car is solid now.

Since last summer the front suspension arms and bushes where replaced along with inner and outer tie rods so the car drives straight and true its nice to drive other than this mild clunk on from the NS front post pot hole.

If i park the car up and rock it gently by holding the roof above front windows there is clunk sound from the ns front area its not overly metallic more lick a thud clunk sound but i dont get how theres no wheel play as last time my trailing arm was loose it sounded very similar and there was wheel play. Could it be that gear box engine mount after such a pot hole shock?

Any ideas welcome im going out later to jack it up and take a big bar to the trailing arm to check it for play and that.

Cheers and sorry to go on....

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels

Last edited by Retap; 24th June 2021 at 12:39..
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote