View Single Post
Old 30th October 2020, 08:31   #13
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
My local tc has also made a fundamental mess-up. Wheel bolts tightened so tight that it bent a power bar which had to be given extra leverage by a trolley jack handle. It's not even a "school boy" error as their trade association provides the correct advice - 'tighten to a low torque setting and then tighten to the correct torque with a torque wrench'. An air wrench set a maximum is not the way to go.

They also found a sheared locking bolt. When shown I figured it failed due to metal fatigue or flaw. Now I suspect they cross threaded it when using the air wrench on the previous set of tyres fitted.

I'd do the job myself (as I used to do) but those wheels/tyres sure are heavy when carrying them 100 yards.

Kev
As you say, no excuse whatsover!

Personally, I always undo the locking nut/bolt with a bar & socket, then remove the rest of the nuts/bolts with an impact wrench.

But, I never refit any alloy wheel nut/bolt with an impact wrench & the same goes for any locking nut/bolt.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote