Thread: Rain Sensor
View Single Post
Old 10th November 2019, 00:28   #1
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default Rain Sensor

Hi everyone,
one of the things I would like to get working again on my car (which seems to be possessed by the worst of car demons) is the rain-sensing wipers, therefore, I would like some help diagnosing as to which part is at fault. When I bought the car they weren't working but one day out of blue they started working and after a few days they stopped again. so from what I've been told so far, the 2 main corporates are either the sensor itself or wiper stalk. So the way they behave now is pretty much like standard intermittent but when you turn them on they do the "check" thing of one wipe and pause for a little and then they operate like standard intermittent Additionally if you turn them on before turning the ignition on there is no wipe but a long pause and then they revert to standard intermittent. also from what I know, the wipers should perform one wipe every time you alter the sensitivity on the stalk mine do that only when increasing the sensitivity (shortening the time cycle on intermittent) but they don't do that when you decrease it. I also read on BMW forums some people got their wipers working again by unplugging the rain sensor fuse and plugging it back in, I tried that and clicked the stalk 1 up for intermittent the wipers came straight on continues wiping I turned them off and back on again from the stalk and once again one wipe pause and standard intermittent was back on.
Any ideas? also, do rain-sensing wipers use a different stalk from the standard ones because visually at least I can't see any difference.
Regards,
Thanos

Last edited by thanos.m; 10th November 2019 at 00:30..
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote