View Single Post
Old 16th February 2019, 22:23   #26
Copilot
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon W View Post
(...)Pedro - if you put the 400ml of coolant back in so that the level is on the MAX line (measured at cold), then run the engine up to hot and wait (with the car standing still), is there a point when it suddenly starts gushing out of the expansion tank? Or does it only do it when you're driving the car out on the road?

On mine, there's a definite point where something suddenly changes and the coolant gushes out of the expansion tank at an alarming rate. It'll flood the complete tank rim very fast - much faster than I can turn the engine off. (...)
On mine, it only happens when I rev it up for some time ( I would say 5/7 secs.) after the engine is warm.
I also did a test idling until the coolant reaches 87/90º and nothing happens.

I'm suspecting the problem could be the cap or the O-rings. I will give a try and see what happens with the new one

I agree with T-cut, in your case Simon, that gurgling you mention definitely means air locked in the cooling system. Mine doesn't have that noise.
If I was you I would try bleeding the system and see if it can solve the problem.

Anyway I will report the situation in mine as soon as the cap arrives.