View Single Post
Old 10th September 2015, 19:49   #4
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Some days back I posted this problem most noticable on my (just purchased) 55 plate CDTi, built 16/3/2005 (Thanks Reebs!).

Members sent a number of suggestions which were all welcome and I have now followed them all up. The front wheel tracking has been checked and is fine. I have had replaced (at some expense!) the steering rack and also had checked the steering column end bearing which was OK.
Sadly, no improvement at all. The top and bottom engine mount "acorns" on the driver's side were also checked for perishing and/or glycol leakage, but all fine.

So am stumped and a few hundred quid the worse off.......Arghhhhhh.

I have been advised that there is a Steering Vibration Damper part fitted as standard until 2002, but removed under the dreaded Project Drive. It was sited behind the steering column air bag. I will try to seek one out on the "Parts Wanted" thread.

So my plea goes out again for any other ideas/suggestions? Hopefully this sad tale might be instructive to those with a similar problem. In the meantime, I shall be crying into my Adnams Ale tonight.......ED

Certainly, on my car at least, it is not the steering column end bearing that has play, but the bush half way down the column.
I have the same vibration and will be replacing the complete column some time in the near future. If it works, it works. If not, not a lot wasted after Rich found an excellent source of new columns and produced an excellent how-to. My column has vibrated since car nearly new at around 6000 miles but just at the time Rover and their warranty went belly-up.
I think you were advised that the new rack might be a waste of money, unfortunately.

Last edited by tourer; 10th September 2015 at 19:52..
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote