View Single Post
Old 8th September 2018, 16:54   #1
sennockian

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Parking Aid system fault.

Have been having problems with the parking aid system for a couple of years. One problem was sorted out by replacing the reversing switch in the (manual) gearbox, and the reversing lights now work when they should. The 5-sec. 'system problem' warning bleep when engaging reverse for the first time also returned, although this was intermittant and the system occasionally worked properly, sometimes after thumping the sensors in the bumper.

One of the four sensors (in the rear bumper) was also not clicking, so had that replaced a year ago with a new one obtained on eBay. At that stage the system 'lost its voice' and I ran out of time and inclination to waste any further effort on it! Another sensor was also ticking somewhat quietly so had that replaced as well this week, but still no operational system.

The two listed fuses for the system are both OK, the reversing lights still work fine, the front speaker (which sounds the warning bleeps when the lights are left on) works fine (read on here that I seem to have the later system which uses the front speaker for the parking sensor bleeps rather than one in the rear parcel shelf), and the four reversing sensors all happily tick away with the ignition switched on - whether or not reverse is selected. The control unit for the parking aid system (in the rear offside wing) has both of the plugs fitting securely, and the black lead in the black plug (which goes into the main wiring loom) is earthing OK. (The white plug's cables appear to go to the sensors). The part number on the ECU is YWC105180.

Any thoughts on where I might go next?

(This is one of the reasons that my '75' is only my second best-ever car; my best is a '74 Stag owned since 1980 - very little in the way of fancy electronics to go wrong!).
sennockian is offline   Reply With Quote