View Single Post
Old 6th June 2020, 21:05   #6
sennockian

Rover 75 Saloon

Talking Progress... but in a different direction...

Following on from my earlier thread notes, I purchased a new speaker to fit under the rear parcel shelf. However, it looks a somewhat involved and time-consuming process to access the speaker (having to dismantle half the rear fittings!), and (being retired!) I have not had the time!!!

However, I saw on Amazon a reversing camera kit - the "AUTO-VOX Upgrade M1PRO Reversing Camera", and decided to purchase one at the end of last year [2019], getting around to fitting it earlier this year.

It seems to be quite a nice piece of kit. The fitting was generally quite easy once I had decided 'where and how' (the worst part probably being trying to get the camera cabling through the flexible angled rubber tubing that ports the boot lid cables between the body and the boot lid), and the overall installation has ended up quite neat and tidy. This (cable from the camera) was plugged into the next part of their wiring loom (which I located effectively under the back window, hidden by the interior trim) which (a) I connected into the offside reversing lamp cable behind the boot's side trim to power the whole system with reverse engaged and (b) the lead forward to the screen.

The cabling to the screen was run underneath the carpet to the side of the driver's footwell and up the side of the centre console, and from there across (mostly out of sight around the steering column) to the small shelf to the right, just above the lighting switch panel (see first photo). The screen is held in place with Velcro, making a secure and very tidy installation.

Have to admit that I 'engineered' the fitting of the camera by making up my own 'final' bracket to attach on the underside of the boot lid 'handle'/number plate light hood (see second photo), having to initially remove the boot lid interior trim so as to hide all of the cabling, but it is a very neat installation.

The camera itself works extremely well, although of course it needs careful adjusting first in order to 'place' the warning lines in the right place. However, one has to take care not to inadvertently move it when opening the boot lid, otherwise one could end up hitting whatever is behind!

So - an up-to-date 'take' on reversing assistance!
sennockian is offline   Reply With Quote