Thread: Oil Changing.
View Single Post
Old 30th April 2019, 09:28   #40
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
It's obvious we are not all going to agree on this one lol.

I started using the vacuum method and am very happy with it. I have yet to see this so-called muck on any engine I have ever worked on. The only time I have seen anything I didn't like was the "mayonnaise" that built up in the rocker box of some engines years ago.

Just make sure what ever type you buy, it has quite a rigid pipe so that it goes straight down to the bottom of the sump without curling or you will not get all the oil out, and maybe get it stuck on removal.
Wise advice all round Mike. Especially re the pipe - I was concerned at the report on here where a soft pipe was pushed in too far and a sharp edge severed it when it was pulled out of the dipstick hole.

If this was a common occurrence then it would wipe out ANY advantage of an oil change via this method.

As for ‘muck’ - this does build up in a sump and in my view should stay there. The idea of it floating about so it can flow out the drain plug does not fit at all with the hard “goo” that I remove with a scraper and then wash out with Gunk on any sump I have removed.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote