View Single Post
Old 20th March 2022, 07:09   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
So any tips on unbolting this bush as the bolts look impossible with little access ?
Hello Robert,

These bolts are tightened to 150Nm and no method is easy.

I found that a 18mm hinged head ratcheting spanner was too short to apply any effective torque. Some folk promote linking two spanners together or using scaffolding poles but this is considered bad practice by manufacturers as well as posing a safety risk. The suspension arm position also seriously interferes with even a ratcheting spanner's ability to turn the bolt head through any decent angle.

After trying all suggestions I found that MG Rover's official method was by far the best. This is to remove the anti-roll bar saddle clamp so that the bar can be moved away from the bolt head enabling a hexagon socket and a long driver to be used from underneath the car. This method has the considerable advantage that the bolts can be replaced at the correct torque setting.
The saddle clamp bolts are small, recessed out of direct vision and may be rusty so patience and determination may be required. As I said, no method is without difficulty!

It is not necessary or desirable to lower the subframe.

Also Robert, looking ahead, it's much easier to remove the defective bush and fit the new one in the correct position (essential in order for the bolts to line up) with the suspension arm off the car.

Good luck with it.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 20th March 2022 at 07:13..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote