View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:45   #74
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I live in---Jonny Foreign Land----( France. ) and pay NO VED----Road tax--Road fund license or whatever you want to call it. Nothing.---

The French tend not to roll over and play dead when what they consider is an unfair tax thrust upon them. They rise up and do something about it.

In Britain they do what you say you do. 'Pay it because it must be fair as it applies to everybody'.

When the government wants to put its hand in YOUR pocket it is more often than not unfair.--

PS. What I really love is when I go over to Britain to visit relatives I drive about with NO TAX on my car.------

Excellent - so that counters the point that foreigners drive around the UK for free whilst having to pay when they go abroad (which was the point made by another poster that led me to ask the question).

Also, if we wanted to charge foreign drivers for use of UK roads that could easily be done as in Germany with their "foreigner toll". This could be levied at the ports based on mileage and is not a strong argument for doing away with VED.

Out of interest, what is the average level of total tax in relation to all gains and wealth in France relative to the UK? This is what really matters at the end of day, not the categories used for collecting taxes.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote