View Single Post
Old 29th October 2018, 09:35   #4
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

I had this problem a couple of months ago and someone had inserted a piece of wire clip to jam the battery clamp on in the past. It was clear that the battery clamp was always going to come loose again and there was no more tightening adjustment on the clamp nut.

On a couple of occasions the car wouldn't start and I could only get it going by jiggling the clamp about.

I popped down my local helpful garage and explained the problem and on removing the clamp and added wire clip it could be seen that that the slot on the clamp at the top was closer than at the bottom ( similar to Steve Artic's number 3 photo ) so that when the nut tightened up the clamp the top part of the clamp butted home before the bottom bit in the slot so that there was no more movment to tighten up the slot at the bottom thus leaving it looseish on the battery terminal.

I'm guessing that in Steve's photo's he has used a screwdriver to even up the slot gap so that it closes evenly when tightened.

In my case we tried that but it still didn't even up so the mechanic very carefully nibbled the top slightly with a grinder until the top bit was even with the bottom leaving a uniform slot all the way down that when tightened pulled together perfectly and never had a problem since.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote