View Single Post
Old 30th July 2019, 15:26   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Are the early R75's still a reliable daily driver?

Hi David,

Here's my answer to your question: it depends!

You've raised two key points:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davros View Post
I am just nervous that a car coming up for 2 decades old will leave me stranded.
Actually, age and unreliability don't go hand-in-hand. New cars come with faults which have to be corrected under warranty at much inconvenience to the owner. I bought a new Volkswagen once. It broke down twice in the first two years. Both times it was fuel pump failure. It also suffered from terrible fuel vapourisation when hot and had to have a crude cooling device fitted.

If you keep your eyes open you'll see plenty of newish cars on the motorway hard shoulder.

Cars are having more and more equipment fitted, much of it computer controlled, and we all know what paragons of reliability computers are don't we? Older cars are simple by comparison and usually more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davros View Post
... to find something really clean with history and low miles.
Sorry to shatter another myth but a low mileage car is usually prone to unreliability. For example, short journeys result in increased engine wear and reduce battery life. This is why taxis cover huge mileages with no serious problems. Mechanical devices which are used frequently don't have the chance to rust and electrical connections remain conductive.

A high mileage car that has been cared for and well maintained will be a better buy than a low mileage car which has been neglected so judge the car as a whole without any pre-conceptions. The hardest thing about buying a second-hand car is stopping your heart ruling your head!

Simon

PS On fuel bills, if your journeys are long and cross-country, the V6 will return at least 30 mpg. I know that's nothing like the diesel's record, but maybe not as low as you were expecting.