Thread: TV Licence
View Single Post
Old 10th June 2019, 18:00   #8
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Hi Clive, its was nice chatting with you at the weekend and meeting your lovely wife, its always nice to catch up with folk and put the world to rights from time to time.

I was only talking to my father yesterday about the TV licence fee, and we looked back to when Gordon Brown introduced the free licence for the over 75's back in the late 90's. Then along came the blue's and wanted to phase it out, seems that is what has happened, forcing the BBC to take responsibility for taking up the cost.

Obviously there are some pensioners who are very well off and can afford the charge, but many will struggle which will leave them on poverty.

The BBC say they cant afford to fund the free licence...
Yes it was great to get together again - good to talk to you whilst you are now pain free!

Hope what you got today fit well and are everything you want!

And yes - some will struggle to pay and that to me is wrong. You would think that as the 5th largest economy in the world we could afford to allow our very oldest to enjoy free TV - after all at that age, getting out and about becomes increasingly difficult - so the TV becomes a lifeline.

I do believe that the Licence is untenable long term

So why not make Freeview totally free for our elderly?

Failing that - I for one would be happy to use some of the money we currently donate regularly to go to a fund to pay for a licence for someone in need.

But it’s wrong
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote