View Single Post
Old 12th June 2019, 07:49   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
I know that my system leaks slowly, but I don't know where from. It could even be in the current condensor ...
The first thing to say is that if you haven't been using your air conditioning regularly all the year round (at least once a month), the seals will slowly dry out and refrigerant will be lost. The answer to this is to get it recharged and use it!

Also, your system should have dye in it Simon. This appears as a luminous green/yellow colour to the eye but a small leak may require detection equipment. You're right to say that the condenser is most likely to be the problem.
Quote:
I shall sleep on it I think, and work out what to do.
I suggest that you find an independent (and mobile ideally) self-employed practitioner who only does air conditioning. He will have the equipment to locate your leak.
Quote:
... people have talked about lubricating the O-Rings with rubber grease.
I would definitely not do that for the following reasons. In my experience, these 'O' rings do not normally require lubrication. The union is of similar construction to brake and high pressure oil lines and there is virtually zero risk that the 'O' ring will deform. If lubrication is used, the workshop manuals specify a smear of refrigerant oil. You do not want even the smallest amount of rubber grease entering your air conditioning system where it could cause a malfunction.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 12th June 2019 at 07:57..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote